Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Setback, part 2

Well, we were on the road for about two hours when the lawyer called and told us to stop and stay where we were. Apparently, county #2 did not think they had jurisdiction and so were ready to dismiss the petition. He convinced them to not dismiss it, but to transfer it to county #3. County #3 has not decided what they will do. This is the county where Seven was born (county #1 was where M lives and county #2 was where we had been staying since leaving the hospital). So they clearly have jurisdiction. But who knows what they will do at this point. He is advising that we stay in the state until we get a clear answer from county #3. But, that might not come until Monday, because, just to add to the fun, she is out of town this week.

There is a second option. We could finalize in our home state.  That would allow us to leave now. I need to speak to our lawyer in this state to confirm that and the lawyer in the birth state would feel better if she saw all the papers to be sure everything is in place. So, we are at a loss of what to do. Staying this weekend could all be for naught if the clerk says, "hey, no problem". But if the baby leaves the state and the petition is dismissed again, the only option may be to finalize in our home state. Either way, the legal and travel costs are ballooning every day.


  1. What a nightmare! I can't believe all the twists your red tape is taking. I don't have any advice, but I am praying!!

  2. Oh crap! I wonder who started second guessing their jurisdiction? Sending prayers that you get home soon.

  3. We finalized in our own state but had to wait 6 months until all the post visits were completed, etc. I am sorry you are going through this.

  4. Oh no!!! Terrible! I'm sure you just want to get home and start your new life in your own place! Sorry it's so complicated!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...