Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Projects

I've been working on several projects. First, I put up a clothes line in our laundry room. I like to line dry many of my clothes. It is both gentler on my clothes and makes them last longer, and it saves on electricity from the dryer. But we don't have that much room in our laundry area, so setting up the little wooden contraption to hang up clothes took up all our space. And an outdoor clothes line is not really feasible with this weather of sudden rainstorms. So now we have something that hangs from the ceiling. It is perfect! Most of the time, it is high and out of the way. We don't even notice it.



But then when we are doing laundry, we can use a pulley to get it down, hang our clothes, and then put it back at the top of the ceiling and out of the way again.



The pictures aren't really very good, but when it is all the way up, I can walk completely under the clothes that hang from it. It does help that we have a high ceiling in the laundry area, although if you are thinking of doing the same thing, your ceiling does not have to been too high. Actually, if ours was much higher it wouldn't be as convenient b/c then I might have trouble reaching it b/c it only comes down so far from the ceiling.

And it was super simpler to install. I am not handy at all and did it mostly by myself. The hubby helped by mainly providing an extra pair of hands to balance it. I did have to do some improvising with duct tape, but it is working out really well. I did decide to put it directly into a ceiling stud rather than the hollow part of the ceiling as their directions recommended. Wet clothes can get kinda heavy after all.

My other project is more crafty. As you may remember from a few months ago, my area suffered massive floods. The saying "We Are Nashville" was taken as a rallying cry and they have t-shirts and posters and whatnot to raise money for victims with this logo. I created a pattern for a crocheted blanket. I'm going to make a few more and give them to flood victims.

2 comments:

  1. That blanket is seriously impressive.

    I love the clothes line on the ceiling! I might have to do that! My laundry room is the size of a rabbit hole, there's NO room. I need to show the hanger to Jeff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Missy, that blanket is amazing. What talent! Love the indoor clothesline idea, I'm always lamenting the fact that I only get to use my clothesline for 4 months out of the year. hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...