Thursday, January 27, 2011

Adoption book challenge

I am joining the Adoption Book Challenge. I am going to aim for Level 3, which is to read 6 fiction and 6 nonfiction books about adoption. I just heard about this today, but since I am the type of person to start reading about a topic when I go down a path, I am already well on my way!

So far this year I read Adopted For Life, which is a Christian perspective on adoption. I will admit that I was not the biggest fan. I was looking for something a little practical. Also, even though I am Christian (Catholic), I had trouble with the author's statement that is our Christian duty to use spanking as a form of discipline, and thus Christians may have trouble adopting through foster care where the kids may have been physically abused. Now, I can understand how someone can use mild spanking as a form of discipline without it being child abuse, but it is not logical at all in my mind how it is required to raise a child according to the Christian faith. I mean, I've been wondering if my hesitancy to adopt through foster care means I am a bad Christian because those are the kids that are really in need of loving stable homes.

I also read Inconceivable by Shannon Woodward. That book is not strictly about adoption and more about finding peace with infertility, but since it does follow her journey of two successful adoptions and many failed attempts, I am counting it.

Right now I am reading a book about open adoption. I don't remember the name, but I'll put up a review when I am done.

2 comments:

  1. Some of those reads look good, thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love love love to read and may have to look into some of those books you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...