Monday, January 25, 2010

Mothers

I'm debating what to tell my mom about our IUI. We had promised to keep our families informed of our progress if they would not bring it up unless we did. OK, my mom has not kept her end of the bargain at all. Not at all! But the end result is that we told her during her Christmas visit in general terms that we were planning on doing an IUI soon. She asked about it last week and I fudged, saying that was still in our plans, but didn't say anything that it was planned for that week. I'm expecting her to ask about it again soon. I feel like I should tell her something more concrete, but am thinking of giving a little lie that we will do it this week. My thinking is that then we should have a good week's head start before she starts asking about results.

Complicating this is that she is coming for another visit in 3 weeks. At which point I'm sure she will want to know every detail and it will be harder to fudge than on the phone. I also told my sister, who has been great about this (aside from the occasional comment when her kids are being a pain that I can have one of hers). DH has not told his parents anything, so they will need to be updated sometime before my mom's visit as we are all having a big get together.

7 comments:

  1. Would it help if you reminded her (um, gently) of the deal. Sometimes that helps with my mom.

    Either way, maybe you can put off telling her until you have results? That'll roughly coincide with the visit, yes?

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a tough one. I also have a hard time lying to my mom, and she would know if I did. I would try to brush it off, if you can.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, we are peas in a pod with the Mom issues right now. :) Personally, I am currently in a phase of not bringing up IF at ALL with her. She was a nervous wreck abt my HSG last week so I updated her that all was fine and well, but I'm not giving her any of the messy details of my upcoming cycle. I love her more than anything, but it's too much pressue, I have to turn that switch off for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was telling all of my family everything in the beginning, but they got sick of Follicle Watch 2008, so I backed off. Maybe you can get her to leave you alone with WAAAYYY TMI?
    ~ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I am not at the IUI stage (we get to skip over that and head to ICSI), I have not told my parents about our IF yet. Wishing you the best.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog.

    So glad to have found your blog, while stopping by for an ICLW visit...
    No. 36: the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, weight loss)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's comforting to know that others have this problem. I've struck the same deal with my mum and I am really hoping that she sticks to it.

    I contemplated altering the dates slightly to give us more time but decided that that could get confusing and dangerous (you don't want to upset them). If I was you I would just remind her that you would rather leave talking about it until you are ready.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, moms are tricky. I try to give my mom as few details as possible and hope she doesn't ask too many questions. She hasn't been too bad about it, which I know has been hard for her because she is usually pretty nosy ;)

    Oh and I hate those "are you sure you want one of these?" comments that people make about their kids. I'm always like, "YES! I DO! More than anything!" But glad your sister's been supportive overall :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...