Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkins and pictures

Well, I used some strategically placed pumpkins to disguise the termite traps. Our front yard looks good again! We are not carving the pumpkins, so we should be able to keep them outside for a little while longer.

I have a baby shower to go to today. I'm OK with going, but this was not a planned pregnancy and the father is not really present, so it is a reminder of how easy it is for some people. I just can't believe she chose to have the baby shower on Halloween. Who does that?

I do plan on leaving the shower relatively early so I can be home for the trick or treaters. We usually get a lot of people in this neighborhood. I'm starting a new tradition this year. OK, I stole this tradition from a house I saw in the town I went to college in. I'm going to take a picture of everyone that comes to trick or treat at our house. Next year, I'll do the same thing, but also put up a poster with pictures from this year. So people who come for multiple years will see how they grow over the years. The house where I saw this, they had about 15 years of posters and big group of people on their porch looking back on all the years.

I've wanted to do this the past couple years when we realized our neighborhood has a lot of kids. I've hesitated b/c while I think it is a great way to document and build community, it can also be kinda creepy to have someone take a picture of your kids. But after my group in church was talking this week about the importance of community, I thought that was the nudge I needed to get started on this.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea! I hope to live someday in a neighborhood where I can borrow the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea! Wish I lived somewhere that trick
    or treaters came by. Wonder how the Halloween baby shower went?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...