Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Schools

My church has a big fundraising campaign for its school. We decided before we got married that any future children would go to public schools. I have a strong commitment to public education as where diverse segments of society come together, so for us it is more of a positive choice than thinking Catholic schools are bad. Still, we are not the type of people to only support causes that we will benefit from. The church is our community and we are happy to contribute.

Last night some of the chairs of the fundraising committee came to visit us and tell us about the building plans for the school. We know these people well and if they thought enough about it to put two and two together, they could figure out we are having trouble conceiving. But clearly they haven't made that connection or don't understand what it means. Things were going so well at first. I expected him to talk about how great Catholic schools are. I wasn't prepared for him to keep talking about how our future children will benefit and how we may get a little "blessing."

I just kept thinking, "is it really a blessing if we are paying for it?"

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your views on schools. I have always felt that public schools need more support than they get.

    I'm sorry that you had to spend an evening with someone who was so oblivious. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your view on public schools--I feel like it's so important for our kids to grow up seeing all the different kinds of people in the world.

    Sorry those people were so oblivious though. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree about public schools - and not just because I work for one. I'm sorry that the committee chairs didn't put two and two together and made you uncomfortable. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about public schools, too! I'm sorry that they were so oblivious to what is evident...but I find that many catholics are oblivious to the fact that procreation doesn't happen easily for everyone... did you end up giving? I'm not sure I would have! Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...