Monday, September 7, 2009

Orphelia's clock

It seems I can't escape thinking about IF, not even watching Shakespeare in the Park.

It wasn't the park setting that made me think about it. We arrived early to have a picnic before the play started. Sure, there were plenty of pregnant women also enjoying the nice weather and a picnic. But that didn't bother me. I was determined to have a good evening.

The play started out well. It was the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged. And it was hilarious. By the end of the first act we were laughing very hard. The reminder of fertility treatments (Petruchio and Kate Plus 8 joke) just added to the fun. We spent the intermission reviewing the funniest segments and eagerly awaiting the second act. They were going to do an interpretation of Hamlet. They hit this part when Hamlet tells Orphelia to "get thee to a nunnery" and pull in an audience member for participation. To show her what to do they involve the whole audience. We have to act out various parts of her subconscious. One guy had to run back and forth. One part of the theater had to wave their hands in the air. Another part chanted something. A third group screamed the nunnery line.

We sat in the far left section of the theater. We were the last group to get our instructions for this participatory segment. And guess what what we had to do?

Yeah, that's right, we had to scream our biological clocks were ticking. And it all came back to me in that instant.

To be honest, I don't really feel my biological clock ticking all that much. I mean, I definitely wish we were parents by now and get sad when I remember how long we've been trying and how much longer of a road we likely have before us. But I'm only 30. I get frustrated that this process is taking so long for us, but not because I feel like we are quickly running out of time.

But sitting there, everyone around me yelling about their biological clocks, I started to wonder. Are we running out of time? Is this something I should be worried about?

2 comments:

  1. I think you don't need to worry about your biological clock at this point-- especially since you are taking active steps to get pregnant. Trust your doctor and hormone panal on that one!

    Also, this play was put on by 3 guys right? The reduced Shakespear company? I've seen it in London and was the girl pulled onstage to play Ophelia because I was heckling them at the beginning. It was a blast. I didn't even think of the biological clock thing then (8 years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have run out of the theatre screaming! Hmm.. The complete works of Shakespeare, you'd have thought you would have been safe with that one , huh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...